NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts (NPCM) seeks an energetic, strategic, and innovative person to serve as our full time (40 hours a week) Political and Field Director. The Political and Field Director is responsible for overseeing field and electoral operations, voter education, and volunteer management. The Political and Field Director works directly with the Executive Director to create, manage, and execute a comprehensive political and field plan, including intensive volunteer engagement and management, and collaborates extensively with the Legislative Director.
Since 1972, NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts has led the way in advancing reproductive freedom for women and families in the Commonwealth. Our mission is to develop and sustain a grassroots constituency that uses the political process to guarantee every person the right to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive choices, including preventing unintended pregnancy; bearing healthy children; and choosing safe, legal, accessible abortion.
The Political and Field DIrector’s responsibilities include:
- Develop a comprehensive field, electoral, and volunteer engagement plan to achieve the organization’s voter education, legislative, and electoral goals, with specific responsibilities including:
- Build membership and volunteer power, with a focus on politically and electorally strategic districts;
- Assess viability and strategic value of legislative and statewide constitutional officer races and provide strategic organizational campaign support accordingly, with input from the Legislative Director, voter registration numbers, past voting behavior, candidates’ fund-raising capacity, and the organization’s resources in each race;
- Work collaboratively with the Legislative Director to develop and carry out trainings for candidates, activists and other to further electoral and legislative goals;
- Set and meet benchmarks for activist engagement, volunteer recruitment, and voter education and outreach;
- Assess potential for ballot initiative activities related to reproductive health and reproductive right and oversee any ballot initiative work; and
- Staff and recruit individuals to join the NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts PAC.
- Ensure implementation of NPCM’s electoral plan, with specific responsibilities including:
- Establish a long-term community organizing program to engage multiple constituencies, including base pro-choice activists, young people, and communities of color;
- Meet volunteer and activist recruiting and turnout goals; and
- Determining which geographic locations to target to increase visibility of the NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts brand
- Work collaboratively with NPCM’s Legislative Director to support or enhance the organization’s legislative agenda, civic engagement, community organizing, public education, and research efforts, including:
- Overseeing member and volunteer mobilization in support of legislative campaigns;
- Driving turnout to lobby days, rallies, and other strategic activities;
- Organizing community-based, issue-focused events; and
- Supporting the growth and launch of regional volunteer teams with the goal of them driving their own organizing activities in support of NARAL’s legislative and political goals
- Optimize and implement best practices for data management
- Represent the organization in coalitions across the state
The following qualifications are essential to the position:
- Committed to protecting and advancing reproductive freedom and health care access.
- Political campaign experience, especially in Massachusetts, is strongly preferred, although not necessary if the candidate for the position is able to demonstrate capacity to quickly acquire political campaign skills and to cultivate relationships within Massachusetts’ progressive political community.
- Ability to present complex concepts to multiple audiences and to advocate the merits of an issue that often evokes strong emotional responses.
- Strategic thinking and planning experience.
- Exceptional attention to detail and can work quickly without sacrificing quality of output.
- See both the big picture and the little details of a project, can proactively anticipate needs and challenges, and enjoy really digging into a problem to develop the best possible solution.
- Proven ability to work independently and in a team to solve problems.
- Clear, concise written and oral communication.
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends during most of the year, and regular weekends and evenings during peak electoral campaign season.
- Preferred (but not required) experience includes experience with EveryAction and NGP.
Remote during the COVID-19 pandemic until it is safe to reopen NPCM’s downtown Boston office. The position will be based in Boston but we are open to candidates who live outside the Boston metro area and who are willing to travel as needed to Boston.
Salary and Benefits
The Political and Field Director is a full-time, 40-hour per week, exempt position. The salary range is $65,000 – $75,000, in addition to a generous benefit package including health and dental insurance and a retirement account with employer match.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three references to email@example.com. Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please specify in the subject line of your email the name of the position you are applying for.