NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts actively works to promote greater diversity within our organization and forms collaborations with communities of color to represent the needs of our constituency more fully.
We have and will continue to:
- Integrate diversity into our program goals at all levels of the organization, including organizing, development, political, and access-related work
- Seek out opportunities to build new collaborations with organizations working in communities of color, and will co-host events with an organization led by people of color
- Conduct one-to-one meetings with people of color to invite their participation in NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts or to explore ways of working together
- Recruit new people of color to join the Board of Directors and various committees (with a goal to achieving significant representation)
- Conduct an organizational cultural assessment and disseminate the results of the assessment throughout the organization
- Conduct an organization-wide retreat addressing diversity and develop a strategic plan resulting from the assessment and retreat
The mission of NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts is to use the political process to guarantee every person the right to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive health choices, including preventing unintended pregnancy; bearing healthy children; and choosing safe, legal, accessible abortion. In order to fulfill this mission, and to incorporate the wisdom and experience of all our constituencies, we seek the input and meaningful participation of people from the diverse groups in our state, including those who have been underrepresented in the past such as people of color, low-income people, and people with disabilities. We embrace the dual strategies of collaborating with organizations representing these groups and creating more diversity within our own organization.
Because it is critical both to achieving our mission and to operating in a way that is consistent with our organizational values, we strive for this diversity in our membership, staff, Board, committee members, and volunteers. We hold our Board of Directors and Executive Director accountable for advancing the changes needed to promote diversity in our programs and at all levels of the organization, and for creating an environment where all people are encouraged and able to participate fully and with respect.
NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation.